Blog To Express

A blogosphere learning experience to express with blog

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore, Singapore

A "recycled teenager" learning to blog.

Apr 3, 2011

Keep It Short and Simple

DICK YIP, 64
Active Agers - Infocomm Champion Award 2008 Winner

Early in my youth, a general refrain I often heard was, "He's a Jack of all trades but master of none.". Personally, I took a strong dislike to this expression. It smacked of failure. I wanted none of that. Frankly, it is not too difficult, given enough time and patience, to learn anything new.

48 years ago (1963), I taught myself to play the ukulele. Anyone can learn to play it too. However, to master it requires something different - a deep PASSION. As we age gracefully, we should always remember to KISS in all things we do. (KISS = Keep It Short and Simple) whether it is learning IT, a musical instrument, an activity or a hobby.

In 2006/2007, I taught myself IT skills and blogging by 'accident'. I had wanted to prove to myself that I would not have to be an IT dinosaur for life. The full details of that story can be found on my blog at www.uncledicko.blogspot.com.

In 2008, I was greatly honoured to receive the inaugural Active Agers Award 2008 - Infocomm Champion Award presented by the Council for Third Age (C3A) and Infocomm Denelopment Authority (IDA). As a champion of active aging, I've often been asked, "What motivates me?". My answer - it is knowing I can do things differently and knowing I Can! I also know I can help others succeed using the KISS approach.

In September 2010, I started weekly sing-along sessions for seniors at the CC with only my ukulele. In less than two months, I had founded my own performing group named "Dick Yip and the Garden Minstrels" with a couple of ukuleles, guitars and percussion. Since then, we have been invited to perform at various events and were featured several times on Prime Time news.

It is never too late to start anything!

Uncle Dick Yip and the Garden Minstrels.

This blog is updated on iPhone.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home