Blog To Express

A blogosphere learning experience to express with blog

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore, Singapore

A "recycled teenager" learning to blog.

May 25, 2012

Memories of Liu Sanjie

Many nostalgia movie lovers and fans would remember "Liu Sanjie - 刘三姐" screened in Singapore in the 1960s.


My mother and elder sisters loved the China-made movie with the beautiful folk songs which the villagers, young and old at Bukit Ho Swee were singing from the Rediffusion.



 


The full-length movie is posted on this blog to revive the memories of "Liu Sanjie".


 专访《刘三姐》中“阿牛”的饰演者刘世龙。

刘三姐是壮族民音传说人物。据传刘三姐为唐代壮族农家女,自幼陪颖过人,被视为“神女”。她十二岁能通经传,指物索歌,开口立就。自编自唱,歌如泉涌,优美动人,不失音律,故在当地有“歌仙”的美誉。为了纪念这位传说中的“歌仙”,壮族同胞也自发地在每年三月三日聚集到一起,以歌圩的方式,来寄托人们对这位“歌仙”的思念。

电影版的《刘三姐》同样也取材于民间传说。主人公刘三姐是一位聪明、美丽的壮族姑娘,擅长用山歌来赞美劳动、赞美自然和赞美爱情,并用山歌来抗议旧中国统治阶级对劳动人民的剥削和压迫。从题材上来看,这部电影反应的是,依然还是很典型的封建社会和民主社会的矛盾,

'Sanjie Liu' produced in 1961, which made the Li River famous worldwide. Sanjie Liu is a fairy singer in the myths and legends of the Zhuang ethnic minority. She is incomparably beautiful, and has voice to match her beauty.
 

The Impression Liu Sanjie was created by Zhang Yimou who is well known internationally as the film director in 2004.

Impression Liu Sanjie is an outdoor performance placing its setting in real mountains and rivers in Yangshuo.
The story is about a lady called Liu Sanjie who lived in the city of Liuzhou (2 hours from Guilin) where she worked in the fields. Liu Sanjie was well-known in Liuzhou for her great singing voice. She would always sing while she worked in the fields.

Most of her songs were about the repression felt by the farmers from the local landlords who over taxed them. She had to leave Liuzhou for her own safety and came to Yangshuo on a bamboo raft and settled here.

Yangshuo's farmers also had problems with their landlord and Liu Sanjie took up singing against them. The local landlord had her kidnapped, but she escaped after the local farmers staged an uprising against the landlord. The locals agreed with the landlord that they did not have to pay taxes if they could sing better than the landlord, something that they always did.

Then under the Big Banyan tree, Liu Sanjie tossed her love ball to her loved one, which he accepted and they lived happily ever after.

Impression Liu Sanjie in China is famous for its live-action show with the picturesque beauty of Mountains and waters in Yangshuo.

The lighting of the karst peaks is truly amazing and is extremely highlighted. Today, since the completion of this large-scale performance, the travel of Yangshuo becomes more colorful. At daytime, travelers get visit to the natural beauty of mountains and waters as well as the local strong custom, and at nighttime, to enjoy the dreamlike show of Impression Liu Sanjie.

The performance regards the lmpressional Sanjie Liu as the general theme,and creatively combines the ciassical Sanjie Liu's songs,ethnic groups’culture and the fishing lights together,to refect the harmonious atmosphere between human beings and Nature.



"多谢了", 林联海先生.

Mr Lim Lian Hai (林联海先生) is a well-known, talented Singaporean photographer. His Singapore cityscape and landscape masterpieces at pBase .

pBase Guestbook said: "Hi Lian Hai. Great shots, enjoyed very much. Don't need to travel anywhere further than our hometown,just look around our backyard!!". "You do great work. I love your sunsets, their as good as the ones in Arizona, USA. your panos and city scapes are great also! Sam Wilson. "You have an impressive portfolio here. Love most of your excellent works. Keep up your good work.". "Excellent creative work! Especially the "Singapore Skyline" gallery. Well Done!!!".

Please view the unsolicited accolades of Mr. Lim Lian Hai on pBase.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger lim said...

One of the classic Chinese movies of all time. The song "多谢了" still rings in my mind. I heard that a woman saw this movie more than 100 times when it was shown here in the sixties. It had a rerun in the 70s and a sizable audience saw it too.

May 26, 2012 at 5:47 PM  
Blogger Thimbuktu said...

"多谢了", 林联海先生. I am pleased to add the YouTube video on the blog to share with everyone to enjoy. Cheers!

May 26, 2012 at 7:02 PM  
Blogger FL said...

James, Liu Sanjie movie reminds me of The Sound of Music. Both movies happened to be very popular in the sixties. Both are musical versions. I heard of Liu Sanjie during my teens. I did not watch the movie at that time, but heard the folk songs from my neighbour's Redifusion set ! Thanks for the video, too.

May 27, 2012 at 12:06 AM  
Blogger Thimbuktu said...

Thanks FL. The Sound of Music is my favorite movie and I could sing the song in English and enjoyed it very much. My sisters prefer Liu Sanjie.

May 27, 2012 at 7:32 AM  
Blogger Thimbuktu said...

Hi James
Post for me. I always can't post on your blog. I like Liu san jie a lot!

Oh James, I love the Liu Sanjie to bits. We were very poor but my father brought my sisters and I to the show at Hoover Theatre. I remembered we walked there after having an early dinner. My mom dressed me up in a nice frock with a ribbon behind and my hair was done nicely too, with a ribbon. We walked hand in hand and that was my first cinema show. I sat on my father's lap. That was the way to save on a ticket. We came home and I can't say I was good in Chinese but we remembered the refrain, 'Hey... something like this.' We took our mom's samfoo pants and shoved our hands into the two trouser legs and we sang and sang for days. I was the liu sanjie in my house as I am the third sister among my siblings. I remember having hair that was braided. I remember walking to the cinema in that particular bright evening feeling so happy that we were going to watch a movie. I can't describe the colour of the sky but it was a pale blue and the day was cooler. I think my father bought kacang putih for us. My favourite was the yellow chick peas, boiled, all rolled up in a conical shape. I would remember to open the end of the cone to find a surprised pea hidden there. Thereafter, I would read what the words on the paper cone. Most often, it would be some spelling, some math sums. That was my Liu Sanjie experience. Thanks for the memory, James!

Thanks for the memory!
With warmest regards
hui hwang

May 27, 2012 at 3:25 PM  
Blogger Thimbuktu said...

多謝了, Hui Hwang.

Thank you for sharing your fond childhood memories of Liu Sanjie movie with your family. Your parents and sisters must have enjoyed it at the former Hoover Theatre.

Its wonderful that you could watch the movie with so much attention and enjoyed the songs to learn them as a young girl.

Pls watch the full-length video as often as your family like and to sing the songs once again.

The modern version of "多謝了" by the Chinese soprano singer is awesome. Fantastic.

Happy Memories!

May 27, 2012 at 4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home