Blog To Express

A blogosphere learning experience to express with blog

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore, Singapore

A "recycled teenager" learning to blog.

May 18, 2019

The Queen's Coronation Day

Queen Elizabeth II of United Kingdom

On 6 February 1952, Princess Elizabeth succeeded to the throne on the untimely death of her father, King George VI.

Her Coronation in Westminster Abbey on 2 June 1953 represented a day of historic pomp and ritual for the dignitaries at the ceremony, and the excitement of colourful pageantry and national rejoicing for the crowds who lined the streets of London in the rain to see their new sovereign, Her Majesty Queen Elizabet II.

[Source:  Pitkin Pictorial record of this historic event, a poignant and personal account seen through the eyes of the late Beverley Nichols.]


The start of the great day

They don't care if it rains, how chill the wind blows - or even if it snows!  They've been there all night.  More than 130,000 camped out on the pavements along the route of the procession for the whole night before Coronation Day.  A scene in Northumberland Avenue.

You can't move an inch, even seven or eight hours before the procession arrives.  An early morning picture in Trafalgar Square (photo above).


The Queen's Progress to the ancient Abbey is under way.  Her Majesty's guardsmen, airmen and sailors line the route.

A coronation day smile from the Queen

"How happy the Queen looks!"  That was what her people were saying throughout this historic day as they cheered her on her triumphal Coronation drive.  Beside her the Duke of Edinburgh wears the full dress uniform of an Admiral of the Fleet.

H.M. Queen Elizabeth II is crowned


"O God ... bless this Crown, and so sanctify thy servant Elizabeth ... that she may be filled by thine abundant grace with all princely virtue. "
The Archbishop takes up St. Edward's Crown and places it upon the Queen's head.  Queen Elizabeth II is crowned.  In her right hand is the Sceptre with the Cross, ensign of power and justice, and in her left the Rod with the Dove, symbol of equity and mercy.


The Balcony Scene


The spectacle witnessed by the vast crowds that massed in front of the Palace after the Queen's return.  Between the Queen and her husband stand their children, the Duke of Cornwall and Princess Anne.  Prince Charles wears his first medal - the Silver Coronation medal.  There too, are the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret.  

Prince Charles points excitedly while the Queen and the whole of the balcony party look up.


Here comes the RAF!  The airman-Duke was the first to detect the whine of the jet engine.  This was the RAF's Coronation salute to the Queen.  168 aircraft took part but they had to use open formation since bad weather made it too risky to fly wing-tip to wing-tip.


Her Majesty's Coronation Speech

Below is the text of the Queen's speech, which was broadcast at 9 p.m. on her Coronation Day, 2nd June, 1953.

When I spoke to you last, at Christmas, I asked you all whatever your religion, to pray for me on the Day of my Coronation.  To pray that God would give me wisdom and strength to carry out the promises that I should then be making.  Throughout this memorable day I have been uplifted and sustained by the knowledge that your thoughts and prayers were with me.

I have been aware all the time that my peoples spread far and wide throughout every Continent and Ocean in the world were united to support me in the task to which I have now been dedicated with such solemnity.

Many thousands of you came to London from all parts of the Commonwealth and Empire to join in the Ceremony, but I have been conscious, too, of the millions of others who have shared in it by means of wireless or television in their homes.  All of you, near, or far, have been united in one purpose.  It is hard for me to find words in which to tell you of the strength which this knowledge has given me.

The Ceremonies you have seen today are ancient and some of their origins are veiled in the mysteries of the past, but their spirit and their meaning shine through the Ages, never, perhaps, more brightly than now.  I have in sincerity pledged myself to your service, as so many of you are pledged to mine.  Throughout all my life and with all my heart I shall strive to be worthy of your trust.

In this resolve, I have my husband to support me.  He shares all my ideals and all my affection for you.  Then, although my experience is so short and my task so new, I have in my parents and grand-parents an example which I can follow with certainty, and with confidence.  There is also this.  I have behind me not only the splendid traditions and the annals of more than a thousand years, but the living strength and majesty of the Commonwealth and Empire.  Of societies old and new, of lands and races different in history and origins, but all by God's Will united in spirit and in aim.

Therefore, I am sure that this, my Coronation, is not the symbol of a power and a splendour that are gone, but a declaration of our hopes for the future and for the years I may, by God's grace and mercy be given to reign and serve you as your Queen.

I have been speaking of the vast regions and varied peoples to whom I owe my duty, but there has also sprung from our island home a theme of social and political thought which constitutes our message to the world and through the changing generations has found acceptance both within and far beyond my realms.  Parliamentary institutions, with their free speech and respect for the rights of minorities, and the inspiration of a broad tolerance in thought and its expression.  All this we conceive to be a precious part of our way of life and outlook.

During recent centuries this message has been sustained and invigorated by the immense contribution in language, literature and action of the nations of our Commonwealth overseas.  It gives expression as I pray it always will, to living principles as sacred to the Crown and monarchy as to its many Parliaments and Peoples.

I ask you now to cherish them and practise them too, then we can go forward together in peace, seeking justice and freedom for all men.

As this day draws to its close, I know that my abiding memory of it will be not only the solemnity and beauty of the Ceremony but the inspiration of your loyalty and affection.

I thank you all from a full heart.

God bless you all.


(Above): The picture of the day.  Thousands saw the Queen like this.  Many others will also treasure this human photograph of the radiant Sovereign, so obviously happy as she rides triumphantly "home" to Buckingham Palace.
(Below):  Family group at Buckingham Palace.  Prince Charles looks smart in his long white trousers, Princess Anne pretty in her white frock.


Celebration of Queen Elizabeth II Coronation in Singapore


The Coronation celebrations in Singapore and the Federation was among the finest in the Commonwealth.  In every kampong and new village, in every town and in the City of Singapore, people were getting together to make this the most memorable occasion in a generation.

Throughout the country, buildings have been decorated with lights and bunting and flags.  Arches have sprung up on all the main roads and at the entrance to every small town.

Painted crowns have been erected and giant signs bearing the words, "Long May She Reign" and "God Save The Queen" bear eloquent testimony to the loyalty which her subjects bear to the new Queen, Elizabeth II.

Hundreds of processions and parades were held on Coronation Day and throughout the weeks.  There was pomp and pageantry and a general rejoicing.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home