Blog To Express

A blogosphere learning experience to express with blog

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore, Singapore

A "recycled teenager" learning to blog.

Feb 8, 2012

Ways Done in the Past - Istana Garden Party

Tea Party to Red Cross voluntary workers and officials held at Istana Negara on 12 October, 1963. Puan Noor Aishah speaking to James on her right.

At the Chinese New Year Garden Party at the Istana on 5 February, 2012.

Almost 50 years ago, I had the first chance to step on the grounds of the Istana on 12 October, 1963 to attend an appreciation tea-party hosted by Yang Di-Pertuan Negara (Head of State), Yusof bin Ishak and Puan Noor Aishah.

I was then a member of the Junior Red Cross Link Unit No. 10 of Outram Secondary School in 1963.

On 5 February, 2012 I attended the Chinese New Year Garden Party for grassroots leaders at the Istana lawn.

Same Person. Same Place. Different Times. Different Memories.

From Government House to Istana



From Queen Elizabeth II Birthday Garden Party to Chinese New Year Garden Party

Entrance of Government House c 1953.

His Excellency the Governor Sir John Nicoll welcoming guests at the Garden Party of the birthday of Queen Elizabeth II at the Government House on 6 June, 1953.


Ways Done Now - Istana Garden Party cordially invited by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and his Cabinet Colleagues to the Chinese New Year Garden Party at the Istana on 5 February, 2012.

Could you spot the difference of the Garden Party at Istana then and now?

Source: The Straits Time, February 6, 2012

Note: Photos with watermark are acknowledged photo credit and thanks to National Archives of Singapore.

Photo Credit: Chinese New Year Garden Party on 5 February, 2012 photographs downloaded to PA website with acknowledge and thanks to People's Association.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Lam Chun See said...

Well done man. You did it again!

I have been to the Istana once in my life and that was our during my NS day's officers commissioning ceremony. I have a photo somewhere with No 2 dress and sword. Nowadays they don't do it anymore. I attended my son's ceremony at Safti MI.

Hey actually I went there twice. The next day, had to go back in PT kit to do cleaning :(

February 8, 2012 at 9:41 PM  
Blogger Thimbuktu said...

Thank you, Chun See.

While searching on PICAS for old photos to blog on "Ways Done in the Past - Istana Garden Party", I was pleasantly surprised to find this 50 years old photo I have never seen it before. Not a copy of the photo was given to me by the Singapore Red Cross Society as a momento for remembrance.

Thanks to the kind contributions of former Yang Di-Pertuan Negara Yusof bin Ishak's personal photo collection to the National Archives of Singapore (NAS) as a precious 'memory-aid' treasure to share our Singapore memory for everyone.

I have found an infringe benefit in my current personal research on PICAS to blog on irememberSG for Singapore Memory Project.

It was like a dream when I found this 1963 photo of the tea party at the Istana for Red Cross Society volunteers.

It took myself quite some moments wondering it was really me in the photo sitting beside Puan Nor Aishah at the Istana tea party ; )

The picture in my mind five decades was vague and couldn't remember my conversation with the sweet and gentle Puan Nor Aishah in person. It was awesome.

Yes, I now remember the plenty of cakes, ice-cream and
candy treat at the tea party...just like the wide variety of delicious halal food offered to us at the Chinese New Year Garden Party 2012 at the Istana.

Wonderful memories. A great incredible discovery on PICAS...

February 9, 2012 at 5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home