Blog To Express

A blogosphere learning experience to express with blog

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore, Singapore

A "recycled teenager" learning to blog.

Apr 3, 2012

Ways Done in the Past - Children Playground

After I attended Singapore Memory Project's "iremember goes to Toa Payoh" Road Show last week, some bits and pieces of ideas were floating in my mind about children playgrounds in Singapore.

The "dragon playground" in Toa Payoh is one of those.

I grew up at the "globe playground" at Jalan Bukit Ho Swee after the fire.

The playground at Jalan Bukit Ho Swee was very popular among the children, who were mostly the former fire victims of the Bukit Ho Swee fire.

I spoke to my blogger friends Peter Chan and Uncle Dick Yip about the "globe playground" on this video clip.



At the Bukit Ho Swee kampong before the fire, my buddies and I played on our landlord's grandfather tomb with big spaces at the back of their house...playing "hide-and-seek" in the night, under the protective "eyes" of the deceased grandfather.

Some young friends asked me, "what sort of memories could youngsters have to contribute to the Singapore Memory portal?"

Every grown-up person in peacetime Singapore would have memories of using their playgrounds as children somewhere at schools, parks, near their homes.

Thanks to National Archives of Singapore with acknowledgement, the curated archived photos of the playgrounds in Singapore over the years are posted on this blog to trigger the memories of the young and not so young.

If you have personal pboto collection of children playgrounds, please post them to the Singapore Memory portal for everyone to share.

Where were these playgrounds in Singapore?

The memories of the young are still fresh when they could still remember now. Have fun!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Lam Chun See said...

In the kampong where I grew up, there was no such thing as a playground ..... we regarded the whole kampong as our playground.

Strangely, where my children grew up, there also is no playground. My children are blessed to grow up in a private landed estate .. but it is one of those small; too small to justify a playground.

But no problems. We often brought the kids to the nature parks; and thus I have lots of photos of playgrounds in places like Kallang River Park, Seletar Reservoir and Labrador Park. In fact, I even have videos.

April 3, 2012 at 10:51 PM  
Blogger Thimbuktu said...

Thank you, Chun See. I like that..."the whole kampong as our playground".

I grew up in the wild and roam in the wild recklessly as an urchin in Bukit Ho Swee kampong. Luckily survived the BHS days without being swept away in the deep "longkang" in the floods or knocked down by cars while chasing for loose kites after a "layang fights" at Havelock Road.

April 4, 2012 at 8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home